Home News Fixtures Tables Squad Commercial Info History Shop Under 20s
To Be Confirmed

Coleraine Match Preview

Uploaded Tuesday, 3rd Mar, 2020 at 23:31

Date: Tuesday, 3rd March, 2020; Competition: Danske Bank Premiership; Attendance: 577;
Dungannon Swifts [1] [1]
Ballymena United [0] [0]
Venue: Stangmore Park; Kick-Off: 19:45;
Referee: Chris Morrison; Assistant 1: Stephen Donaldson; Assistant 2: John Doherty; 4th Official: Steven Gregg;
[1-0] WILSON, Douglas (23 mins)

BALLYMENA United slipped below opponents Dungannon Swifts in the league after a 1-0 defeat at Stangmore Park on Tuesday night.
Suspension for Cathair Friel saw him replaced by Joe McCready, whilst Kenny Kane and Kofi Balmer came back into the starting XI for the rearranged game in Co. Tyrone.
Neither side really came out of the traps quickly with a quiet and slow start to the game. United were edging it in terms of possession but it wasn't being converted into chances, with Kane firing well over the only shot from either side in the opening twenty minutes.
The Sky Blues got away with one from the Swifts' first chance when Mark Patton picked out Daniel Hughes unmarked at the back post, but he failed to get the right connection on his header to trouble Ross Glendinning.
The visitors weren't as lucky three minutes later as Dungannon broke the deadlock on 23 minutes. Patton swung in a free kick from the middle of the half after a foul by Balmer and Dougie Wilson was allowed to make a free run before heading home under no pressure at all.
Ballymena went close to hitting back instantly when Adam Lecky got a shot away from the edge of the box, only to see his low effort bobble its way just past the post. On 28 minutes the Braidmen were fortunate not to be 2-0 down when Josh Kelly's loose back pass was picked up by Hughes, but he couldn't quite get enough on his shot to get it over the line and Jonny Addis cleared.
Coming into the last ten minutes of the half it was the hosts well on top as United's decent spell early on was now a distant memory. Michael Carvill had a shot from distance that looked to be going in until a good block from Addis, as United trailed at the break.
The second half had the feel of two teams at the wrong end of the table as neither lit up the final 45 minutes, with Dungannon happy to watch time tick on under little Sky Blue pressure. The first chances of the half came Ballymena's way in their best minutes of the game. Reece Glendinning picked out Joe McCready with a ball across the box, but McCready was denied by Sam Johnston. From the resulting corner Scot Whiteside headed narrowly wide, with McCready unable to get a touch to turn the ball goalwards.
On the hour mark it was Glendinning's turn to save well as Patton walked through into the box before his low shot was tipped round the post. The final half hour was all but eventless. The Sky Blues had plenty of chances to get balls into the box from open play and set pieces, but the majority of these were easy work for Johnston to come and gather.
Swifts sub Ryan Waide tested Glendinning with a header in the home side's only real chance and with fifteen minutes to go David Jeffrey brought on Kyle Owens and threw him up front, but it was to little effect as Dungannon eased to victory to leave Ballymena in 10th spot and looking a little over their shoulders.
Ballymena United host high-flying derby rivals Coleraine on Saturday afternoon in the Danske Bank Premiership, kicking off at 3:00pm.
Match Report by Phillip McPeake
Ballymena United Team:
Ross Glendinning, Jonathan Addis, Scot Whiteside ( 25), James Knowles ( 30 Kyle Owens 80), Steven McCullough ( 34), Kenneth Kane ( Jude Winchester 60), Joseph McCready, Kofi Balmer, Adam Lecky, Reece Glendinning, Joshua Kelly.

Subs not used: Jordan Williamson, Tony Kane, Andrew Burns, Ethan Warnock, Dean Lewis.