Home News Fixtures Tables Squad Commercial Info History Shop Under 20s
To Be Confirmed

Conor Keeley joins United

Uploaded Saturday, 1st Feb, 2020 at 20:16

Date: Saturday, 1st February, 2020; Competition: Sadler's Peaky Blinder Irish Cup - Round 6; Attendance: N/A;
Warrenpoint Town [0] [1]
Ballymena United [0] [2]
Venue: Milltown Playing Fields; Kick-Off: 15:00;
[1-0] DOYLE, Brandon (47 mins), [1-1] OWENS, Kyle (60 mins), [1-2] McGRORY, Andrew (88 mins)

ANDREW McGrory's late winner saw Ballymena United come from behind to beat Warrenpoint Town 2-1 in their Sadlers Peaky Blinder Irish Cup sixth round tie.
United made four changes for the long trip to Milltown Playing Fields from the side that lost to Crusaders a week ago, as they looked to all keep the season alive by advancing to the quarter-finals.
The first half will surely be a contender for the most uneventful half of the cup this season as a scrappy game led to little action at either end. Neither side had an upper hand in the early stages, with Jonny Addis firing well wide on the turn the only half chance of the opening half hour. The Braidmen had a strong penalty appeal turned down midway through the half when Lecky went down under a challenge from Danny Wallace, with United's fans behind the goal adamant he was fouled.
The best chance of the half came the way of Andy McGrory when a cross from Lecky deflected out to him, but his well drilled effort was well gathered by Mark Byrne. Warrenpoint's first attempt of any kind came in the 42nd minute via Eamon Scannell from distance, but his shot went miles over the crossbar.
In the last minute of the half Kyle Owens had a go with a half volley on the edge of the box, but it flew into the shrubbery on the hill behind the goal as the half unsurprisingly ended goalless.
The drama the first half lacked came in full supply in an eventful second period. The deadlock was broken just three minutes into the half by the hosts. An effort from Alan O'Sullivan was blocked by Scot Whiteside, but fell to Brandon Doyle who curled a tidy effort past Ross Glendinning on the edge of the box.
Ballymena finally seemed to waken up after falling behind and dominated proceedings for most of the game thereafter. McGrory was looking the most likely threat of danger for the Sky Blues and a cross from McGrory was poked wide by Cathair Friel, before McGrory went close himself when he was denied again by a good Byrne stop. Seconds after that good McGrory chance the 'Point hit on the counter attack which ended with O'Sullivan blazing a shot over.
On the stroke of the hour mark United levelled. James Knowles delivered a fantastic corner that was begging to be finished off and it was as Kyle Owens headed home for his first goal in his second spell at United.
Former Ballymena man Wallace went extremely close to putting his side back in front shortly after Owens' goal when he looped a deep free kick back towards goal and forced Glendinning to claw the ball off the line. Minutes later Wallace was involved at the other end when Lecky put Jude Winchester through on goal, but he was stopped by a great last ditch challenge from Wallace.
As the game entered the final ten minutes and extra time looked every more likely, Ballymena went close again when Friel was played in by Lecky, but from an extremely tight angle he shot narrowly wide. Three minutes later Leroy Millar's low ball into the box fell to Winchester, with his shot blocked into the path of McGrory, but yet again Byrne got down well to make a smart save.
With two minutes left until added time Ballymena snatched it in remarkable fashion as McGrory scored a late winner that his play deserved. The goal was all about the pass from Millar. An inch-perfect ball from the centre circle from the captain on the day set McGrory racing clear and he coolly slotted past Byrne in front of the travelling fans to secure a place in the quarter-finals, where they will travel to face Bluefin Sport Championship side Ballinamallard United.
Ballymena United host Carrick Rangers in the Danske Bank Premiership next Saturday afternoon, kicking off at 3:00pm.
Match Report by Phillip McPeake
Ballymena United Team:
Ross Glendinning, Jonathan Addis, Scot Whiteside, Cathair Friel ( 41), James Knowles ( Tony Kane 90), Steven McCullough, Andrew McGrory ( 88), Jude Winchester ( Joshua Kelly 86), Adam Lecky, Leroy Millar, Kyle Owens.

Subs not used: Kenneth Kane, Andrew Burns, Kofi Balmer, Reece Glendinning, Ross Lavery.